Southern Illinois University
Dr. Trani was appointed Assistant Professor of History at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, in 1967. In 1971, he was awarded tenure and promoted to Associate Professor of History and in 1975 was promoted to Professor of History.
Dr. Trani’s teaching responsibilities included the survey course in American history, American diplomatic history, and a freshman course on the contemporary world. At Southern Illinois University, he supervised three doctoral students and ten master's students, served on a number of other doctoral and master’s committees, and was Director of Graduate Studies in the Department of History during the 1971-72 academic year.
While on the faculty of Southern Illinois University, Dr. Trani concentrated his research on American diplomatic and political history between 1890 and 1953. In support of his research, he was awarded a number of grants and fellowships including Summer Research Grants from Southern Illinois University in 1970, 1972, and 1975, and grants from the American Philosophical Society in 1968 and 1972. With the support of a National Historical Publications Commission Fellowship in Advanced Editing of Documentary Sources in American History, he was a Visiting Research Fellow at The Papers of Woodrow Wilson at Princeton University during the 1969-70 academic year. He spent the summer of 1972 doing research in Great Britain at the British Museum, the Public Record Office, the Beaverbrook Library, and Oxford University. From September 1972 until August 1973, he was a Fellow at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. His appointment at the Woodrow Wilson Center was supported by a Fellowship from the Center and a Younger Humanist Award from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
At Southern Illinois University, Dr. Trani also served on a number of departmental, collegiate, and University committees and was elected to the Faculty Senate during the 1974-1975 academic year. In the summer of 1969, he was Visiting Assistant Professor of History at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.